Ted Cruz on voter reaction to politician who publicly says that he is running because God asked him to run

An extract from Full Rush Transcript: Sen. Ted Cruz, CNN Milwaukee Republican Presidential Town Hall, March 29th 2016, http://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2016/03/29/full-rush-transcript-sen-ted-cruz-cnn-milwaukee-republican-presidential-town-hall/ :

QUESTION:  Hi, Senator Cruz.

My question for you is, how and why does your religion play a part in your political decision-making?  Don't you think it should be more of a moral belief and not something that can interfere with your decision-making when you're making decisions for all religions in the United States?

CRUZ:  Well, Thomas, thank you for that question.

Listen, with Me, as with many people in America, my faith is an integral part of who I am.  I'm a Christian, and I'm not embarrassed to say that.  I'm not going to hide that and treat it like it's something you can't admit publicly and acknowledge.  It's an important part of who you are.

But I also think those in politics have an obligation not to wear their faith on their sleeve.  There have been far too many politicians that run around behaving like they're holier than thou.

And I'll tell you, my attitude as a voter when some politician stands up and says, I'm running because God told me to vote - to run, my reaction as a voter is, great, when God tells me to vote for you, we'll be on the same page.

(LAUGHTER)

CRUZ:  And so, listen, I'm not asking you to vote for me because of my personal faith with Jesus Christ.  I'm asking you to vote for me because I've spent a lifetime fighting to defend the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, fighting to defend the American free enterprise system, and we need a leader who will stand up every day and protect the rights of everyone, whether they're Christians  or Jews or Muslims or anyone else.  The bill of rights protects all Americans.  It protects atheists.  That's the beauty of the bill of rights, is that we have the freedom to seek out god, to worship and to live according to our faith and our conscience, and I think the Constitution and Bill of Rights is a unifying principle that can bring us together across faiths, across races, across ethnicity.  And we need to come together behind the unifying principles that built America.

(APPLAUSE)
--- end extract ---

Ravi: I think the faith part of the above response of Senator Ted Cruz is a very good one from a point of view of multi-faith harmonious co-existence/tolerance and religious pluralism, including harmonious co-existence with/tolerance for no-faith (atheist) persons.
------------

Please note that I have a NEUTRAL informal-student-observer role in these posts that I put up about the USA presidential elections. Of course, as I am an Indian citizen living in India, there is no question of me voting in these elections.

[I thank cnn.com and USA Senator Ted Cruz, and have presumed that they will not have any objections to me sharing the above extracts from the abovementioned website on this post which is freely viewable by all, and does not have any financial profit motive whatsoever.]

Comments

Archive

Show more