An example of the AWESOME reverence for life that Ramana Maharishi had

From page 90 of Ramana Periya Puranam (available at
http://www.aham.com/RamanaPeriyaPuranam/) (note that Bhagavan refers to Bhagavan Ramana Maharishi):

In his earlier days at Ramanasramam, Bhagavan would dry his towel on a clothes line at the farther end of the hall. There was a sparrow‟s nest with three or four eggs there. One day, while Bhagavan was pulling out the towel, one egg fell down and cracked. Bhagavan was taken aback. He told the attendant, “Look, look! See what I have done today!” He took it up and looking at it tenderly, exclaimed, “Oh, the poor mother will be so sorrow stricken; perhaps even angry with me for causing the destruction of her expected little one! Can the cracked eggshell be pieced together again? Let us try!” He then put a wet cloth around the egg and said, “I hope Arunachala will save me from this sin.” He put it back and every few hours he would come and change the wet cloth. After seven days, he saw that the crack had healed and said, “Look! What a wonder! The crack has closed, and so the mother will be happy and will hatch her egg. Arunachala has freed me from the sin of causing the loss of a life!” One fine morning, the egg hatched and the little young one came out. With a gleeful face, Bhagavan took the chick in his hand, caressed it with his lips, stroked it with his soft hands and passed it on for all to admire.
--- end extract ---

Ravi: I think most people, including me for sure, would never dream of going that far. I guess I would pray and seek forgiveness for the UNINTENTIONAL harm done to the unborn chick and to its mother, and move on. It is these mystics who go to extraordinary lengths for such matters and that distinguishes them from other people including most spiritual aspirants (like me).

[I thank the author & publisher of Ramana Periya Puranam and have presumed that they will not have any objections to me sharing the above short extract from their website on this post which is freely viewable by all, and does not have any financial profit motive whatsoever.]

Comments

Archive

Show more