Pope Francis blesses (and prays with) gathering outside US Capitol; US Speaker Boehner gets very emotional

Pope Francis blesses (and prays with) gathering outside US Capitol on Sept. 24th 2015 in this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-y_Q0eVNpQ, 4 min. 42 secs.

Pope Francis first lovingly looks at the crowd, blessing them.

Then he says (according to the on-the-spot translator):
Hello everyone. I am so grateful for your presence here. The most important ones here, children. I will ask God to bless them. Father of all. Bless these. Bless each of them. Bless the families. Bless them all. And I ask you all please to pray for me. And if there are among you any who do not believe or cannot pray, I ask you please to send good wishes my way.

Pope Francis finally says in English:
Thank you. Thank you very much and God bless America.

[Ravi: USA House of Representatives Speaker John Boehner is very moved by this, and is struggling to hold back his tears. Mr. Boehner is a Roman Catholic. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Boehner, "On September 25, 2015, Boehner announced that he would step down as Speaker and resign from Congress at the end of October 2015. Boehner's resignation took place after Pope Francis' address to Congress the day before, an event considered by Boehner as a high point in his legislative career."

Boehner talks about a private moment he had with Pope Francis here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YQKs7_TasU, 0 min 45 secs, "I was really emotional in a moment that really no one saw. As the Pope and I were getting ready to exit the building, we found ourselves alone. And the Pope grabbed my left arm and said some very kind words to me about my commitment to kids and education (Boehner seems to be holding back tears here). And the Pope puts his arm around me and kinda pulls me to him and says, 'Please pray for me.' Wow! Who am I to pray for the Pope? But I did."]

Here's one comment on the first mentioned youtube page giving what it claims to be a more accurate translation what the Pope said to the people gathered outside US Capitol:

Good morning to all, I am thankful for your welcome and your presence.  I thank the most important people here, the children.  I want to ask God to bless you (meaning the crowd).  Father, bless these people ("pueblo", meaning Americans). Bless each of them. Bless the families. (Father) provide them with what they need most.  Finally, pray for me. If among you there are those who do not believe or cannot pray, i ask you please that you desire good things for me.
--- end extract from comment ---

Ravi: Pope Francis does radiate love and peace, and PRAYER in these public appearances of his among the people. What a role model he is for any religious/spiritual organization leader! Whatever I have seen of him so far, makes me a great fan of him. Sure, there may be some Roman Catholic doctrine aspects of his teachings & beliefs which I may not agree with, but that's not really a big deal as he does not recommend imposition of that on others.

Comments

Archive

Show more