An Avatar has both Divine Consciousness and Individual Consciousness - Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba

In Amruta Vahini, August 2013 issue, Sri B.N. Narasimha Murthy writes that Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba Varu said (sang in Telugu) the following which explains what an Avatar is, "What do you mean by 'God Incarnates'? Out of love and affinity for humanity, God comes down to their level on earth with 'Divine Consciousness' (Daivaprajna) juxtaposed with 'Individual Consciousness' (Jeevaprajna)".

Bhagavan further made a clarification to Sri Narasimha Murthy about God having Jeevaprajna ('Individual Consciousness') like other human beings, "When I feel 'I am Sathya Sai Baba', it is Jeevaprajna; when I am 'I' that is Daivaprajna! I can move from one to the other at My Will!"

Bhagavan also said, "Either Daivaprajna or Jeevaprajna are put on by me at My will. In fact, both of them are in Me, but I am not in them; I am beyond both!"

Sri Narasimha Murthy writes that Bhagavan also said, "In My physical body (sthoola shareera), I am confined to this room; in My subtle form (sookshma shareera) I can go anywhere in the universe; in My higher subtle form (ati sookshma shareera) I can appear in the dream or meditation of any person; and in My super subtle form (para sookshma shareera), I pervade the whole universe!"

------------------------------------------

Additional sources on Swami's Avatarhood:
1) The Avatar on Himself, http://media.radiosai.org/journals/Portal/On-Himself.htm

2) Bhagawan Sri Sathya Sai Baba - Introduction, http://www.srisathyasai.org.in/pages/srisathyasaibaba/introduction.htm

------------------------------------------

Here's an account of a devotee of Shirdi Sai Baba where she gives her view of the double consciousness of Shirdi Sai Baba - Sri Sai Baba Ego and Universal Soul or Ego.

"One noticeable difference between Sri Sai Baba and other saints struck me. I have moved with other notable saints also. I have seen them in high Samadhi or trance condition entirely forgetting their body and course) (sic) effacing the narrow notion of the self confined to the body; and I have seen them later getting conscious of their surroundings, knowing what is in our hearts and replying to us. But with Sri Sai Baba, there was this peculiar feature. He had not to go into trance to achieve anything or to reach any higher posi­tion or knowledge. He was every moment exercising a double consciousness, one actively utilizing the Ego called Sri Sai Baba and dealing with other Egos in temporal or spiritual affairs, and the other-entirely superceeding all Egos and rest­ing in the position of the Universal Soul or Ego; he was exercising and manifesting all the powers and features inci­dental to both the states of consciousness. Other saints would forget their body and surondings (sic) and then return to it. But Sri Sai Baba always was in and outside the material world. Others seemed to take pains and by effort to trace the contents of others' minds and read their past history. But with Sri Sai Baba this was not a matter of effort. He was in the all knowing state always."
Source: http://saileelas.org/sai/numo/modules/listing_service/uploads/u8.1361878630.exppart2.htm#mrsmanager [DEVOTEES' EXPERIENCES OF SRI SAI BABA BY H.H.NARASIMHASWAMIJI]

Comments

Archive

Show more